Art Encounters encourages youth and families to see, connect, and create art via Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center.
Take & Make Kits
Discover your inner creativity at your own pace, in your space, even as a beginner!
Stop by the Education Center and start encountering art with a free art kit. Each kit contains all the materials for a straightforward art project, with written directions and a short how-to video. This free program runs concurrently with changing exhibitions by Michigan artists and includes art-making experiences for visitors.
Sock Creature Movement
Join the Sock Creature Movement toward greater arts accessibility. We would like your help as a partner in spreading the word that creativity and the arts are for everyone. It is easy and fun!
All you need to do is create your own Sock Creature, there are two ways you can do this..
- Make a Sock Creature using your own supplies at home. Watch our "How To Video" for follow along instructions.
- Purchase a Sock Creature Kit that includes the supplies you need. To purchase a Sock Creature Kit, Click the link above.
You will most certainly have fun and will be helping Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center promote the arts.
Sock Creature How To
Supplies Needed to Make your own Sock Creature
Sock / any size or color
Pillow Stuffing / or other soft filling such as old socks, rags
Glue/taky glue or other liquid glue
Other things i.e. sequins, buttons, feathers
- Stuff your sock with pillow stuffing. Not too little or too much. Be sure there is empty space at the bottom of your sock so you can tie a knot in the bottom (like you would a balloon) or close the bottom by tying a string around the bottom.
- Cut shapes out of the felt to create a face i.e. eyes, nose, ears, mouth, teeth, even clothing. Use the included embellishments to give your Sock some personality. Then glue them onto the sock, let dry.
- Give your Sock Creature a name and create a story about your creation. Take a picture, selfie, or video of you and your Sock Creature and share it with us!
Once your Sock Creature is ready for its public debut take a photo/selfie/video, share and tag @lansingartgallery #sockreatureslansing
Fun Sock Creature ideas:
- Buy several Sock Creature Kits and have a Family Fun Night, or Birthday Party activity.
- Take your Sock Creature on a tour of Lansing and take pictures of your Sock Creature in front of your favorite spots.
- Send a Sock Creature Kit to someone as a gift.
- Create a Sock Creature as your study buddy.
Sock Creature Gallery
Send us a picture of your completed Sock Creature and we will add it to our Sock Creature Gallery. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.